Friday, February 8, 2013

I am a Christian

I was reading a book about John Calvin by William Stacy Johnson - if you're interested in reading it - and towards the end was inspired to write this short list of "I am..." statements. My hope is to capture the true meaning of these words, people, or movements, and redeem them from where they have ended as we know them today. I do not endorse the idea that truth can be found anywhere, or even things that are helpful, but rather I hope that we're all encouraged to pursue and think critically about the things we say we believe, and even more critically about what we do about with what we claim to believe.

I'm catholic because I believe in the universal body and church of Jesus Christ.
I'm orthodox because I believe we should find the truth and proper ways of living for God.
I'm reformed because I believe we should fashion, shape, and make fresh to all the truth of Scripture.
I'm methodist because I believe what we practice and how we practice matters because it reflects what we believe.
I'm lutheran because I believe Martin Luther was a wise man, and as anyone who seeks to genuinely follow Christ should be respected as an image-bearer of God.
I'm baptist because I believe you must be born again to enter the kingdom of God.
I'm charismatic because I believe followers of Christ should have in them a zeal, and passion for God's glory unmatched by all else.
I'm evangelical because I believe the Gospel of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection as the message of God's only provision for our sins needs to be told to everyone daily.
I'm universalist because I believe Jesus calls everyone to repent from sin.
I'm exclusive because I believe Jesus is the only way to God the Father, to salvation, and to eternal life in heaven.
I'm protestant because I believe we should humbly, graciously, lovingly, and truthfully stand in protest against injustice, oppression, false religion, sin and evil; so that all may have equal opportunity to find joy in following Christ for God's glory.

What are you..?

No comments:

Post a Comment